Re: whither the zither

Owen Davidson <owend (at) tp(dot)net> wrote:

> According to whose definition must a "true" zither have frets? As I
> understand its definition, a zither is a musical instrument consisting
> of strings stretched over a sound box, which would include not only the
> fretted concert zither, but the psaltery, kanun, gusli, kankles,
> kantele, kuokle, the koto, and any number of other oddments including
> the autoharp (which, the good Mr. Oscar Scmidt notwithstanding, is
> actually a mechanized gusli and may have been a Russian invention).

I suppose the Sachs-Hornbostel system uses "zither" as a kind of
cross-cultural classification ("box zither," "trough zither," "board
zither"), but it's Germanocentric and ignores the historical
development of each instrument.  Thus the guitar, violin, and banjo
are lutes, in that sense. If Wolf had asked if klezmorim used the
lute, would "violins" satisfy that question?

The autoharp, guitar-zither, zittern, etc., and the other patent
instruments from the late 19th century and early 20th centuries were
developed by Germans and clearly were derived from the concert
zither, which had developed multiple open strings and was very
popular at the time. They just dropped the fretted melody strings.
So, from a cultural and historical point, you could consider them
part of the zither cultural family.

The medieval psaltery may have had some connection to the qanun, but
it survives only in Mexico, as a dulcimer hybrid developed in Italy
in the 17th century, called _salterio_. But it had a separate
identity from the zither (the psaltery survived in Germany until the
late 18th century and with the Pennsylvania Dutch into the 19th).  By
the way, although people confuse 18th-century salterios for
dulcimers, they were exclusively plucked, as are some (hammered)
dulcimers in England today.

The Russian gusli and the Baltic kankles/kantele have ancestors which
have been excavated at 12th-century (or so?) sites at Novgorod and
Danzig and seem to show that they derive from wooden lyres. But the
almost extinct gusli of the Volga River peoples (Chuvash, etc.) seems
to derive from the medieval Byzantine psaltery. The koto and qin of
the Far East evolved separately.

> Since definitions and classifications have a way of broadening and
> overlapping, let me add that the kanun is also a membranophone, in that
> its bridges rest not on the soundboard, but on little squares of skin
> set into the soundboard.

True, but it's an 18th-century development (see Zev Feldman's book on
Turkish music for documentation). The rare survivors of the 16th-
century Persian kanun, the kalun of Xinjiang and the
svaramandala/kanuna of Punjab, are played with a finger pick on the
right hand and an iron bar in the left to make ornaments and
accidentals, etc., and the bridge rests on wood.

Paul Gifford