Re: Do we need Publishers?

In a message dated 6/8/00 5:20:46 AM, horowitz (at) styria(dot)com writes:

<< I think one of the real examples of great homemade publications is Sy
Kushner's

"The Klezmer Fake Book Volumes I and II"

The production qualities are very good (complete with CD attached in the
back) and the transcriptions are just excellent. I wonder if Sy has been
reward sufficiently for his initiative. Josh >>

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your kind words.
I was driven to publish my books because of a commitment to preserve the
music, giving musicians who perhaps don't have the transcription skills or
the time to devote to transcribing , an opportunity to play the music. I was
also driven to publish the transcriptions as a dedication to my father who
passed away 6 years ago. He was a drummer and instilled in me the love of
Jewish music which I have in turn passed on to my 16 year old son.
You notice I mention nothing about monetary rewards. Each book of twenty
transcriptions represents a year of work to bring to fruition. If you include
the time spent, cost of worlwide mailing, printing, pressing, web site, etc.
we are not talking about much of a profit if any.
I t is very important for musicians to understand that each book pays for the
next. Copying is a major problem in the publishing world. If musicians want
more repertoire to play they must understand that they must support
publishers by buying not copying. I have been on bandstands where I have seen
xeroxed copies of my transcriptions sitting on music stands while one band
member has the original book. Xeroxing impacts on future releases including
Klezmer Fake Book 3.

Sy Kushner