Midi composing

This might be a dinosaur's question -- if so, I apologize in advance -- and
it is not "Jewish."  However, I thought that at least a couple other people
on list might benefit from the comments of the computer mavens in our midst.

I acquired some music composition software, Lime, as shareware off the Net.
It is perfectly serviceable, but I've been working with it via a mouse,
which is about to drive me crazy.  It's so slow and cumbersome, I've almost
gone back to pencil and paper.

I own a Yamaha keyboard -- a modest one (I'm no keyboardist), but with midi
functions -- and I'd like to plug it into my computer and do composition
that way.  What else do I need?  I have a "midi player" loaded on my
computer, but my guess is that I need some other interface?  Is that right?
Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost for any necessary
upgrade?  And would I be better off using other software, such as Cuebase (I
think it's called)?

Thanks,