Re: Rivers of Babylon

I'd welcome anyone's correction of what I'm about to say: I have the information
at third hand if not more removed.  My understanding of the mystical use of the
pronoun "I" in Rastafarian culture is that it signifies a complete identity of
the individual to the community and to the deity.  Thus, "I and I" means "we,"
referring both to the individual's complete identification with the community
and to his identity with Jah.  The choice of the nominative pronoun "I" in
preference to the accusative "me" usually found in West Indian creole languages
seems a telling one.  "I" represents the active principle, or, as William James
termed it, the "pure ego," rather than the passive principle of "me" or the
"empirical ego."  That "I" is represented in English as a standing line is also
significant, given our perhaps mistaken identification of linearly-applied force
with the masculine principle.  (Gershom Scholem writes, "...the line is the
willed form that is directed toward the figure of a man.").  In insisting on the
pronoun "I," the Rastafarian takes control over his life, and rises up from
subjugation, becoming man rather than some chattel.

Owen