Re: Joseph Moskowitz

Hi Mika,
There is a nice little biography (in Yiddish) of Jos. Moskowitz in one of the
editions of "The Lexicon of the Yiddish Theater" written  by Zalmen
Zylberzweig. I've read it but am pretty sure that it neglects to mention
Moskowitz's sweet tooth for standing under the khupe.
About the family folklore that the Andrews Sisters rendition of "Joseph,
Joseph" was about your illustrious relative, I have my doubts. As I point out
in my book, the Andrews' 1938 version of the song was an English adaption of
Nellie Caseman and Samuel Steinberg's monster 1923 Yiddish theater hit
"Yosl". Though Moskowitz was already very popular by the time it was written,
so was the name "Yosl", the protagonist in the song.
I also quote in my book a wonderful extended passage about Moskowitz taken
from the brilliant but unjustly neglected 1930 novel "Jews Without Money" by
Michael Gold
Hope this helps.

Henry Sapoznik
Author