"Klezmer" review in NR

I read Ruth Wisse's review of Henry Sapoznik's "Klezmer" in "New Republic"
and she genuninely seems interested in the book and in the material. She
does not agree with Henry's viewpoint, "where he's coming from", which is
her right, so her conclusion, quoted by Bert doesn't bother me as much as
her notion of authenticity, - one aspect of Judaism is more "authentic"
than another.  Her view that the klezmer revival is like "kosher style"
food is seeing the glass half empty and not half full. Who said that the
new klezmer musicians only learn the music and stop there? Many do, many do
not. Some learn Yiddish, some become more religious and some learn more
about Jewish culture etc. Wisse writes, "..by shifting away from
[Yiddish]theater....". Without some sociological research into who these
revivalists are,this directional analysis is wrong.  To me it seems that
many/most klezmer singers, musicians came from no or little Jewish cultural
background,and we should appreciate any step they make into reclaiming
their heritage. - Itzik

Dr. Itzik Nakhmen Gottesman
Assistant Professor, Yiddish Language and Culture
Department of Germanic Studies
University of Texas at Austin
EPS 3.102
Austin, TX 78704-1190