Re: Jewish music crafts and guilds

-- Budowitz Home Page: http://www.merlinms.dircon.co.uk/budowitz/

You mean that's all Wischnbitzer has to offer in the way of musicians'
guilds?? Thanks for the checking Robert...The story of the Prague guild was
first documented by Paul Nettl in 1923. The entire 3-way letter exchange
shows a much more complicated history than Wischnitzer's quote. There was no
one answer from the Church and their response shows as much sympathy for the
Jews as it does antipathy. The Church basically responded to the requests of
both sides by bending to whoever wrote, i.e. when the Gentiles complained,
the Jews were constricted, when the Jews protested  the Church granted them
playing rights. This went on for over a decade. As Gerben Zaagsma pointed
out in an earlier posting, Prague was probably the most forward-looking of
the klezmer centers of geographical central Europe in terms of organization
(ither centers being Constantinople and Odessa, later Kiev and Iasi.  My
guess (but no proof) is that the Jewish musicians' guilds (yes, Reyzl, they
were bonafide guilds, not dynasties nor families, not clans nor gangs, we're
talking about organized guilds with statutes, fees, rules and regs and
primitive forms of insurance) which spread out among Europe after that point
were based upon the Prague model. Josh