Re: trends in Israeli folk dance

Having spoken with people who have been involved with dance for 40 or more
years, it seems at the beginning, the emphasis in recreational folk dancing
both Israeli and international, was more social and not so much on the
complexity of the dances.  As the years rolled by, the dance is now a
pursuit of enthusiasts rather than of the "folk" of the culture.
Enthusiasts always need something new, something harder and exciting to keep
their interest.  The average folk take one look into the room and say "I
could never do that!" and leave.

That is why I think the old Eastern European Jewish dances have an important
function to serve within the Jewish community--everyone can do them and have
a good time.  What more do we need?
Helen