Re: Ancient Jewish/Christian Music--and recording of Ovadiah

My initial posting re Ovadiah's (notated or composed) piece of ancient
Jewish music was, of course, referring to him (I didn't want to get pedantic
but am glad others did, and then some!), and I'm grateful to Judith (I think
it was) and Judah for correcting my memory of his dates and providing
additional information--I usually don't have sources available when I write
to the list.

BUT:  I don't have the scholarly credentials to match others' on this--am
merely a humble student--but that being said, I don't think that Judah's
reference (on 21 March) to "the failure of Werner's main thesis--that there
was a definite and traceable connection between Christian and Jewish chant
in the middle ages" is such an open-and-shut matter as he, and others, make
it out to be.  Werner, first of all, was, so far as I know, elaborating on a
thesis put forward, as I've alluded to, by (Avraham Zvi) Idelsohn; and
Idelsohn's interpretation was, so far as I know, also seconded by the great
Jewish music historian Alfred Sendrey.  Idelsohn, Werner, Sendrey--that's
quite a Murderer's Row to have in your (or this thesis's) corner.  My
teacher Sherwood Goffin also informs me that Peter Wagner, an eminent
non-Jewish historian of Gregorian chant, also upheld Idelsohn. And, fwiw,
Rabbi Joel Goor of the Metropolitan Synagogue did a master's thesis on the
musical interdependence between church and synagogue which I believe takes a
similar position.

How definite a connection?  How traceable?  Who can say?  But there is, I
think, a significant body of scholarly opinion that upholds some, *at
least,* kernel of truth to Idelsohn's/Werner's thesis.

I do agree, btw, w/ Judith that the Camerata recording of Ovadiah's
Elegy/Eulogy is rather gratuitously saddled with medieval instrumentation,
however pleasing or not in its own right.  There was, however, an earlier
recording, in the manner of a solo chant w/ just an organ accompaniment
(composed, and maybe played, by Werner himself--I'll find out)--on an album
issued by Hebrew Union College over half a century ago called ISRAEL SINGS.
Feels (to me), at least, like a much *more* "authentic" rendition, anyway;
the organ is, no doubt, inappropriate but the chant is really what's put
out, so to speak.

I've learned from this thread and been provoked to further research--I
appreciate others' contributions and thank them for them

--Robert Cohen