Re: Fwd: A new klezmermusical in Berlin

----- Original Message -----
From: Kame'a Media <media (at) kamea(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: A new klezmermusical in Berlin

> With all due respect, I think you may be confusing "satire" with "parody".
<snip>

In that case it comes down to what "satire" implies to a native
German-speaker.  I don't have a good German dictionary, and my
Langenscheidt's German-English and English-German set dates back to 1912 (I
inherited it from my grandfather's library), so it isn't helpful.

Webster's 3rd includes the following in its definitions of satire:
"a branch of literature ridiculing vice or folly"
"railery used to convey rebuke or criticism"
"a usu. topical literary composition holding up human or individual vices,
folly, abuses, or shortcomings to censure by means of ridicule, derision,
burlesque, irony, or other method ..."

Lori Cahan-Simon asked "I looked at the websites and found something
unsettling about this.  Anyone else?"  Considering the meaning of the word
in English, I think there is cause for an unsettling feeling.  Perhaps ythe
German meaning is quite different, and perhaps it isn't the right word to
describe the performance.  I hope so.