Re: Fwd: A new klezmermusical in Berlin

With all due respect, I think you may be confusing "satire" with "parody".

It all comes down to the "cultural literacy" of those doing the satirizing
and their intent.  Satire, in the right hands,  (eg. Manger's
Megila/Purimshpiel
--can't think of exact title) can be meaningful and good fun.

Parody usually exploits the most obvious common denominators and
exaggerates them to achieve a response, thus perpetuating
"degrading" stereotypes, as in your apt  "minstrel show" example.

It is only fair to reserve judgement, but I shudder to think about what
they're doing in Berlin, and what it is they are trying to communicate.

Wolf

Wolf