Re: Maramaros

jerusha wrote:
>might i say that question sounds offensive?

My apologies, sometimes there is a difference between my intentions and the
tone that comes across in what I write. I'm going to work on that. I have
been bothered by the ease with which I can unintentionally offend others in
this cyberspace medium, and with which others can seemingly offend me. Oh
well.

Once again, welcome to this list. And thanks for telling us about yourself.

Re: "Maramaros: The Lost Jewish Music of Transylvania"

First, I want to mention that these remarks are solely about style, and
neither are they about the choice of repertoire, nor about our subjective
appreciation. I don't think having questions about style should interfere
with the enjoyment of a performance, taken in its own context. Second,
these remarks focus only on the instrumental works on the album.

With the exception of the one instrumental piece that Muzsikas stated that
they learned from the Folklyric album of early Jewish recordings, it seems
that their sources were a Jewish professor who had been alive before wwII
and two gypsy musicians who played with Jews prior to wwII. When I listened
to these pieces, my reaction was: "this doesn't sound Jewish, nor does it
sound like other recorded Jewish music from the pre-wwII timeframe *of
which I am aware*." From a stylistic point of view only, it sounded more to
me like something else.

These are a few possible expanations for my reaction:

1) What sounds Jewish to someone is a subjective experience based on prior
experiences; none of my prior experiences of Jewish music prepared me for
this album.

2) The pre-wwII recordings of Eastern European Jewish music were made in
other parts of Eastern Europe; perhaps this album exhibits a different
regional style of performance than those recordings (this would go along
with Jerusha's comments); or perhaps it represents a rural style, where the
recordings represent urban styles?

3) It is possible that the Muzsikas musicians were misinformed about
pre-wwII Jewish performance style by their informants. If this is the case,
it says nothing about the aesthetic value of the outcome taken in its own
context. However, since Muzsikas set out on a project of reconstruction of
a "lost" music, if they were misinformed, that would be relevant to the
significance, or success of their project.

I take Ari's words: "Indeed, Muzsikas have continued to work on the
authenticity of their performances of this material" to indicate that, in
fact, the performance style used on the album wasn't so authentic, but that
Muzsikas is aware of this, and has worked to improve it. Ari could correct
me if I'm wrong about what he said.

Perhaps there are others on the list who have more information or
experience than I who would have a more definitive explanation for why I
had the reaction that: "this doesn't sound Jewish, nor does it sound like
other recorded Jewish music from the pre-wwII timeframe".

Matt Jaffey