Re: "authentic" American music

goobietheg (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

<< At one of this past weekend's BAM seminars in re Kurt Weill (and THE
 >ETERNAL
 > >
 > >ROAD), Leon Botstein, I think, remarked that Brooklyn Jewish boy Copland
 > >
 > >wrote the quintessential open-spaces Americana (I actually can't remember
 > >
 > >which piece he's referring to) that became (sadly) the Marboro Man music.
 > >
 > >He definitely saw it as specifically growing out of his marginality, or
 > >
 > >sense of marginality. -- Robert Cohen >>

I think Botstien  is barking up the wrong tree. There was a wide circle of
Composers, Artists, Actors, Musicians, who could be classified as on the left
of the political spectrum. I think it is likely that Copland was among them,
although I am not 100% certain. Many were from NY, and many were Jewish. One
of the hallmarks of their style was "Americanism," whereby they identified
their left wing views with a kind of American sound, or art. Maybe the WPA
paintings could be considered part of that as well.  (Not such a bad idea at
that. I aspire to Red Diaperhood, but my parents were already out of the
movement by then. But I digress) Coplands American sounding music could
definitely be considered coming from that school of thought. Other artists
who were Americanists would be Woody and Pete.
I know this is only semi coherent, but I am on my way out to a gig. Check out
"If I  Had a Hammer," by Maurice Isserman.

Jordan