Re: shaddach vs csardas

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:52:17 -0500,  Yosl Kurland wrote:

> At 3:01 PM -0700 3/3/2000, Helen Winkler wrote:
>
> >Would it make any sense for the "shaddach" to be a mis-spelling of
> >csardas?  Thanks to Joshua Horowitz I know the vengerka was a dance
> >done in Jewish communities based on the Hungarian csardas.  Would
> >this have been done in Jewish communities in England around 1875?
>
> England, 1875?  Hmm....Could this be an unusual spelling of schottishe?

That's pretty clever and seemed to make sense at first.  But I think
the usual British (and Canadian) pronunciation of 'schottische' is
'shoteesh' (actually, Canadian is 'shotees'), so 'shaddach' might
more likely be 'csardas' if the English Jewish community she
described had a lot of Hungarians. I don't think the csardas ever
made it as a dance of international fashion in the way that the polka
or schottische did. I can see how the Hungarian word 'csardas,' with
the acute accent over the first 'a,' might become 'shaddach' in
British English.  BTW, is the skoczne (skotchna) the same as the
schottische?

Paul Gifford