Re: defining klezmer

Josh,

I could hardly agree less. There are scads of words in English which have roots
in other languages, Greek and Latin being quite common, but other constructs
include languages from around the world. Here in American, there is a slew of
"Yinglish" that is now defined in the dictionary as proper English. We don't
usually describe English as a "dialect" of Greek or Yiddish because of this.

I certainly don't see any problem with emphasizing that Yiddish is tied to
Hebrew: linguistically, culturally, religiously, even. More odd would be the
idea that a people that has existed for thousands of years in dozens of lands
would speak a language that has no referrants to anything in its past--only
words invented, from nothing, by Yiddish speakers.

As for the origins of the word "klezmer," as in "klezmer music," I have never
seen a derivation other than from "klei zemer." But now, of course, it is just
as much a word in English (a word which came into English from Yiddish;
originally from Hebrew....), so we might, perhaps, try to do as the French
language police and be more strict; most probably to the same effect. What the
heck, it is "le weekend" and my mind is not fully engaged ;-).

But the point you raise may be intended quite differently. You are right to
point out the current meaning. While I think that many people, myself included,
enjoy some cultural pride in tracing the roots of this particular term back to
Biblical Hebrew, it isn't usually how I would explain the music--it tells
whence the word, but doesn't explain "what" the music! (Personally, I usually
say something like, "Eastern European Jewish dance music," or to an audience
which is Yiddish-literate, perhaps, "Jewish simkha music"). And it is certainly
more useful more often to explain klezmer without emphasizing the word's
linguistic roots. I mean, how many people can recite the linguistic roots of
"Jazz" or "pop" (beyond being short for "popular," which is derived from what?).

My two cents (maybe more),
ari