explanation

Thanks to everyone for your replies. The festival itself is the 10th London
International JMF which I'm involved in in a very minor way. What I am
involved more seriously in is YaD, a new platform for contemporary Jewish
arts in the UK that is being launched at a central London nightclub within
the above festival. The idea is to bring together
musicians/DJs/programmers/visual artists to change perceptions both outside
and specifically inside the overwhelmingly secular majority of the
community. The night will see the launch of an EP and then follow up gigs
around the country and further recordings.

MY question regarding historical ties between Jewish and 'host' music is
directly connected to this project - ie to what extent a fusion of
contemporary dance music culture and Jewish musical ideas (be they folk-song
adaptations, the use of certain modes or instruments, songs about pickled
cucumbers etc) can be seen as a continuing tradition of cultural absorption.
Ie how much to traditional klezmer forms owe to pre-existing East European
genres - are the klezmer styles distinct in their own right or rather
'dialects' of other genres? Is the relationship between the stateless
people's culture and that of the various hosts one of conscious
adoption/mutual influence/plagiarism/none of the above?

I'd be very grateful for any ideas - also if anyone knows where to find a
copy of the Feldman article.
Yours,
Jonathan.

ps Josh - great workshop in Leeds! Sophie certainly remembers it!