From:  Khupenikes (at) aol(dot)com [SMTP:Khupenikes (at) aol(dot)com]
Sent:  Sunday, February 13, 2000 3:40 AM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Re:  The opera "Central Park"

> ...and the music may/should sound "like the music of 1938 Germany"
whatever
that means. May/Should it sound like general Jewish-German of the period?
Do we mean Kurt Weill type of Jewish-German music? etc.<

I doubt that the more secular Jewish-German music from 20th century really
sounded recognizably Jewish. Besides classical music, most people will have
listened to Schlager, light classical music etc. Of course there were a lot
of Jewish artists (Friedrich Hollaender, Comedian Harmonists, to name the
most popular ones), but they were not performing/composing Jewish, or even
Jewish-flavoured, music.
Kurt Weill's different, but only became popular for his hit songs (Brecht).

You most probably could find some cantorial recordings etc. at Jewish
homes,
but these were not specifically German-Jewish.
Most Jewish-German families would strive after leading a perfect bourgeois
life, and that goes with listening to classical European music, be the
composer Jewish or not.

CD