The opera "Central Park"

Loved all the posts in the last 24 hours guys.  Great going.  I don't want
to stop those threads but the following did occur to me.   Sorry, Robert
Weiner, I do think that this is an important perennial issue.

I happen to be looking for something on the PBS web site and accidentally
came upon a new opera called "Central Park".  I didn't see this TV program
nor see the production, but found several things here interesting,
especially the Jewish opera written by Wendy Wasserstein in this triptych.
  The composer, Deborah Drattell, also wrote other Jewish pieces, "Eishes
Chayil, an acapella piece, based on the famous ode to a Jewish woman that
is the last twenty-two verses of Proverbs, and premiered at the 92nd St.
"Y";" and music for an Arthur Miller's play "Broken Glass", a play about a
Jewish family on Kristalnakht.   (See the description of the opera and
composers below.)  It occurred to me that we may ask the question, since
these pieces are about Jews, Jewish occasions and/or Jewish themes, should
we expect such music to be "Jewish" sounding?  Arguments can be made that
the German family in Broken Glass is probably assimilated and the music
may/should sound "like the music of 1938 Germany" whatever that means.
  May/Should it sound like general Jewish-German of the period?   Do we
mean Kurt Weill type of Jewish-German music? etc.

Arguments can be made that the Central Park opera _may_ sound like
contemporary New Yorkish kind of music, but the "Eishes Chayil piece, I
thought should definitely sound Ashkenazic Jewish, since that is the only
thing it can be with that kind of name.  I don't know who Deborah Drattell
is and she may very well be Jewish and the music may even be "Jewish"
sounding.  I don't have a clue.  Has anyone ever seen any of these musical
pieces?   Wendy Wasserstein is very Jewish and knows many wonderful
Yiddishism outside the realm of Leo Rosten.  The composer seemed to be
totally concerned with making the music funny, and Jewishness didn't even
come into the picture for her as far as this interview went.   Anyway, the
web is full of stories about Jewish composers and Jewish music.

I am asking these questions, but I doubt that I will have time to
participate in any discussion.  Sorry, just wanted to share some of the
things I found.  {Reading the section about Wendy Wasserstein is not
important but I included it for those who want to get the whole picture
about this opera.}

I love the sher/sherele thread in the last 2 days.  I hope that discussion
isn't interrupted by this post.

Reyzl

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/centralpark/

Jointly commissioned by Glimmerglass Opera, New York City Opera, and GREAT
PERFORMANCES, this extraordinary triptych of one-act operas partners three
of the theater's most celebrated playwrights with three acclaimed young
composers, utilizing New York City's Central Park as its unifying theme.
 On Wednesday, January 19th, at 9 pm on PBS (check local listings),
original librettos by Wendy Wasserstein, A.R. Gurney, and Terrence McNally
are paired respectively with new scores by Deborah Drattell, Michael Torke,
and Robert Beaser. With Central Park's illusory wilderness as inspiration,
each opera dramatizes the illusions found within a variety of situations:
the observance of a religious ritual, the distorted reality of the elderly,
and the desperate plight of the dispossessed. The NEW YORKER acclaimed the
Glimmerglass premiere as "a funny, haunting night of theatre . . . a
sometimes cruelly accurate snapshot of life as it is lived now."

When you watch the operas that make up the triptych called "Central Park,"
it is important to bear in mind the resonance a New Yorker would find in
this setting. In "The Festival of Regrets," Jews observe the ceremony of
Tashlich, a casting of bread crumbs upon the water as a symbolic effort to
rid themselves of sins and regrets and start anew. In a park setting that
is both sylvan and urban, the juxtaposition of the potential to sin and the
desire to resist it is very palpable.

http://www.nycopera.com/centralpark/festival.html

New York City Opera: The Festival of Regrets
www.nycopera.com/centralpark/festival.html
This page contains biographies and photos of Wendy Wasserstein and Deborah
Drattell, the librettist and composer, respectively, of "Festival of
Regrets."

SYNOPSIS

COMPOSER AND LIBRETTIST COMMENTARY

BIOGRAPHIES

Composer, Deborah Drattell and Librettist, Wendy Wasserstein

Synopsis

It is twilight on an autumn evening at Bethesda Fountain in New York's
Central Park. Mrs. Springer, a woman "of a certain age," arrives with her
40-year-old daughter Greta. Nearby, Wesley, an intellectual teen-ager,
strikes up a conversation with Melanie, a young Greek-American girl from
Astoria. Mrs. Springer recognizes Wesley as the son of Millie
Millstein, a wealthy, successful acquaintance. A rabbi arrives to lead his
congregation in the ceremony of Tashlich, a Jewish new year ritual in which
people cast breadcrumbs into the water in a symbolic effort to expiate
their sins and regrets. Greta, to her horror, recognizes among the
congregation her ex-husband Frank and his 20-year-old girlfriend Jessica.
The rabbi summons his group to gather around the fountain. Wesley tries to
persuade Melanie to stay for the ceremony, but she declines. Wesley then
recognizes and greets Jessica. As the rabbi begins the ceremony of
Tashlish, Mrs. Springer, Greta, Wesley, Jessica, and Frank all privately
voice their regrets. When Frank approaches Greta and Mrs. Springer, Wesley
seizes the chance to court Jessica. The ceremony ends, and the rabbi and
his congregation begin to disperse. Greta and Frank are left alone to
reconcile.

Composer and Librettist Commentary:

Wendy Wasserstein: I was the most reluctant to become part of this project,
since, of everyone involved, I know the least about opera. In fact, what I
knew about opera came from going to the opera with Terrence McNally, who
knows everything about opera as far as I can make out. But then I was asked
to attend this meeting at Paul Kellogg's home, along with Terrence and Pete
Gurney, great friends of mine. We had all once been involved in a public
television project together, "Cheever Stories," and developed a great
camaraderie.

Then I started getting phone calls from Jac Venza [the PBS producer]
saying, "You must write this opera." And my publisher Sonny Mehta called me
and said, "You must write this opera." And I thought, there's a conspiracy
going on. But actually, I had always been interested in writing in
different forms.

As for my plot idea, I had first thought of writing about Central Park on
the night of the moonwalk. I thought there was something wonderfully
romantic about that. But of course, I've ended up writing about the
Festival of Regret, a Jewish ritual that takes place in Central Park. I
really don't know how I got from the romance to the Jewish ritual of
regret, but I should probably talk to a doctor about it, because it's a
serious leap.

Anyway, this Festival of Regret is an event called Tashlich, which I hadn't
even known about. The day after the Jewish New Year, people gather with
their rabbi and throw breadcrumbs into the water, symbolizing their
regrets. I discovered this one day as I was walking through Central Park,
and I passed the festive fountain, and there was this extraordinary group
of people there. I remember seeing a woman in a pink Chanel suit, and a boy
and his dog, and it was just the oddest range of people, standing and
praying, and throwing bread crumbs into the water. There were people rowing
by, too. I looked up and saw the Dakota and the city, and for some reason
it reminded me, because I grew up in Manhattan, of that sort of confluence
of times when you see different worlds connecting in the park. And for some
reason it really struck me.

Then I met Deborah. And really, the way to write an opera is to have
Deborah phoning you every day. Before long, you just think, "Okay, okay,
I'll write the opera!" My feeling was very much that it would be Deborah
leading this opera project, but it turned out to be very much a
collaboration. We talked about the moonwalk idea, and then we talked about
this idea of the Festival of Regrets and agreed on that. And then I decided
I've got to move next door to Deborah in Brooklyn and we'll just write
operas.

Deborah Drattell: But you're leaving out an important part! The first time
I actually met Wendy, I very much wanted to work with her. We met in Paul'
Kellogg's office and I was extremely nervous, but Paul said, "It's all
going to be fine.". Wendy threw out a couple of ideas and I started to get
very nervous because one of the characters was going to be very comical. I
turned to Paul and I said, "Paul, I don't do comedy, I don't know how to be
funny. I can't--it's so hard." And I was sitting there breaking into a
sweat, thinking how difficult it would be to write a comic opera. Well,
Paul and Wendy swore to me it was NOT going to be a comedy. So I left this
meeting feeling very optimistic--"Okay, I can do this."

Well, when I got the first couple of pages of the libretto, I couldn't stop
laughing. I mean, the opera begins with a mother and her forty-year-old
daughter, Greta, arriving at the lake in Central Park. The daughter's
saying to her mother, "Why am I here?" And the mother answers, "Look, you
tried a shrink, you tried a facial, now give your mother's way a chance."
Now, when you start out like that, you're not imagining dark and serious
music.

So, after the first page, I knew I was in trouble. I was working with Wendy
Wasserstein, this opera was going to be premiered at Glimmerglass,
performed at New York City Opera, broadcast on "Great Performances."
Millions of people were going to hear it, and I'm being asked to do what I
don't do best.

But the words Wendy gave me were so rhythmic and so very musical. So I
decided that I needed to stretch and broaden my horizons and write this
comedy. And it turned out to be really easy. I keep on looking at it and
thinking, "Maybe it was too easy, maybe I need to make it more complex,
maybe I didn't do it right."

But a one-act opera is very condensed, very tight, there's no room for flab
in the piece at all. And so I decided to deal with it in little scenes,
since there are several groups of people that Wendy has appearing in the
park. And I decided to assign different types of music to them. For
instance, there's a young couple that I thought was very hip and I thought
their music should be something very modern and rhythmic, so I used a
trap-set, which was a lot of fun.

Wendy Wasserstein: The flipside of Deborah's story is that, when I first
met Deborah, she gave me a CD of her music, and it was called "Sorrow is
Not Melancholy"... very upbeat.

But then I remembered that my friend Chris Durang once told me, "When you
write comedy, you should never force it to be funny." And I thought, "We're
not going to force here. The libretto's got sorrow, it's got melancholy --
we'll just see what happens."

Deborah Drattell: For all of you who know Wendy's plays - they're
ostensibly comedies, but there's real angst in those characters. And that
was the fun part of writing this opera. If you approach something and
decide it's light and fluffy, you'll get light and fluffy. But if you
approach it realizing that there's darkness behind all humor, then
hopefully you get something with a lot of texture. So that's how I did it.
I got to write my dark, melancholy type of music. And hopefully, especially
with the type of singers that we have cast, when Greta sees her ex-husband
entering with their former baby-sitter and screams out, "Frank is here -
I'm going to kill myself,"... everybody will laugh. I hope.

Biographies:

Deborah Drattell

Praised as "a remarkably original voice" by Opera News, composer Deborah
Drattell adds to her long list of accomplishments her new position as the
first composer-in- residence with the New York City Opera and the
Glimmerglass Opera Companies. As part of her residency, she composed a
one-act opera with playwright Wendy Wasserstein, co-commissioned by
Glimmerglass Opera, New York City Opera, and Great Performances, and
directed by Mark Lamos. Her recent opera, Lilith, for soprano, Lauren
Flanigan, commissioned by Meet the Composer was premiered in concert
version this summer at Glimmerglass Opera. Her next opera, A Captive
Spirit, based on the life and work of the great Russian Poet, Marina
Tsevtaeva, for Ms. Flanigan and actress Kathleen Chalfant (Mark Lamos,
director) will premiere this fall.

The Seattle Symphony with Gerard Schwarz will record three of Ms.
Drattell's new vocal works. One of these pieces, "The Lost Lover" will be
premiered next season by the New York Chamber orchestral works; the world
premiere of Sorrow Is Not Melancholy for string orchestra; Lilith,
commissioned by Meet The Composer and premiered by the New York
Philharmonic; The Fire Within, a flute concerto for Ransom Wilson,
commissioned by the Barlow Foundation and premiered by the Richmond
Symphony, and Syzygy commissioned and premiered by the New Orleans
Symphony.

"Occasionally, a work comes along that is unmistakably a masterpiece; this
is it" says the Richmond-Times Dispatch about Drattell's Flute Concerto.
This has been the hallmark of her compositions. Recent and upcoming
premieres include a new work for the New York Chamber Symphony, a saxophone
concerto for Cynthia Sykes with the Richmond Symphony (featured in an
upcoming CBS Sunday Morning segment), the flute concerto for the Israel
Chamber Orchestra, and works for the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln
Center, Eugenia Zukerman (for her new Delos CD), Essex Quartet
(commissioned by Chamber Music America), Brentano and Chester String
Quartets. Several works were performed by the St. Luke's Chamber Ensemble
with soprano Angelina Reaux at the Caramoor Music Festival, Weill Recital
Hall, and Brooklyn Museum Series. Also, Ms. Drattell composed the music for
the Philadelphia Theater production of Arthur Miller's The Broken Glass.

Ms. Drattell has collaborated with soprano Lauren Flanigan on many musical
evenings and has coposed several works for her including: Letters Home, for
string orchestra, based on Sylvia Plath's poetry and letters to her mother,
and premiered at Alice Tully Hall; Eishes Chayil, an acapella piece, based
on the famous ode to a Jewish woman that is the last twenty-two verses of
Proverbs, and premiered at the 92nd St. "Y"; Love Gave It To Me, a song
cycle on Anna Akhmatova's poetry; and Alone, with strong quartet based on a
poem by Edgar Allen Poe.

Past positions include composer-in-residence with the Denver Symphony,
where conductor Phillipe Entremont premiered several of her compositions,
as part of the Meet The Composer Orchestra Residency Program. She also
helped to create and was artistic director of the Bryant Park and Battery
Park Young Performers Series, and the New York Historical Society's Concert
Series.

Among the prestigious honors awarded Drattell are commissions from the
Fromm Foundation, Concert Artists Guild, and the New Orleans Symphony;
First Prize, International Women's Brass Conference: the Leonard Bernstein
Fellowship in Composition at Tanglewood; two Vermont Composers Fellowships;
and a Yaddo Fellowship. She is the recipient of an NEA grant, Meet The
Composer grants, ASCAP awards, and grants from the Louisiana Arts Council
and the American Music Center.

Deborah Drattell received her Ph.D. from the University of Chicago and
studied composition with Ralph Shapey. She held the position of Associate
Professor of Composition and Theory at Tulane University from 1981-90, and
was Music Director and Conductor of the First Monday Contemporary Chamber
Ensemble and the "Vivace" Festival in the New Orleans. In addition to
conducting the New Orleans Symphony, she has also conducted the Denver and
Portland Symphonies.