-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Robert Cohen
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 9:51 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: P.P.S.

Oh--*what* Regesh and Dvey'kus melodies has Debbie introduced to her
audiences?  Where and when?  I'm intrigued, and pleased and excited, to hear
that--Robert

>From: "Adrian Durlester" <durleste (at) home(dot)com>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: RE: (A Tangent:) What to call "contemporary Jewish liturgical
>music"
>Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:11:57 -0600
>
>Robert is correct and I apologize for the oversight. Although many
>"liberal"
>Jews are not familiar with the works of Abie Rotenberg, Shmuel Brazil, and
>Baruch Chait, I and many of my compatriots have endeavored long and hard to
>help this music find a place in the non-Orthodox world-and have had some
>success. Debbie Friedman has introduced several Regesh and Dvyekus
>melodies.
>
>I did, BTW, include Sam Glaser whose music has wide appeal but it
>certainly,
>as he would tell you, written from an Orthodox perspective.
>
>There is, BTW, a tangential issue. Is it proper for us to be using some of
>this music, written by Orthodox men, on Shabbos, with instrumental
>accompaniment, or is there something perverse in that?
>
>Adrian

Adrian A. Durlester  -  durleste (at) home(dot)com
http://members.home.net/durleste/
Student, Vanderbilt University Divinity School
http://divinity.lib.vanderbilt.edu/vds/vds-home.htm
Music Director, Congregation Micah, Nashville, TN http://www.micahnash.org/
Home phone (615) 646-9788 Nextel cel-phone (615) 207-2661
You can page me from http://www.nextel.com
List-Owner for hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org; Co-Owner for L-Torah (at)
shamash(dot)org
http://uahc.org/hanashir
Editor, Bim Bam (for Torah Aura Productions) http://www.torahaura.com/
Alternate Email: aad (at) iname(dot)com  adriand (at) aol(dot)com