Re: Jewish Music terminology

Judy:

I didn't even include the archivists terms for terming klezmer and its
offsprings, though obviously, from your point of view, the terms used
should be as precise as possible, precisely because their function in
your catalogue is to help *people find the music they are looking for*
It's ironically vice versa with commercial klezmer terminology, whose
function it is for the *music to find the people its looking for.* I'm
sure that theme will come up in London, as the question beckons, "who
needs the label in the first place?" To be honest, in spite of my
interest at the moment, as a musician I usually don't have the patience
to deal at length with the question of labels. It's frustrating  because
you want people to take for granted that you are unique and special and
loveable and all that, and therefore no label can possibly designate the
object it refers to - and certainly not when it's supposed to be
referring to *me, me, me.*

I will be at the London conference, reading a paper on the mishegoss of
playing Jewish music in Germany. I sent the proposal in long ago, but
may want to change it to a paper on the klezmer accordion (which I'm
finishing next week) , proving that indeed, the accordion was given to
Moses on Mount Sinai. If you place the (remaining 14 lost) tablets side
by side, what do get? Yup, accordion bellows. Moses got their first, and
I'm gonna prove it. See you there... Josh