New Jewish Music

When Brave Old World released Blood Oranges in 1997, we were in agreement
that a scholarly consensus was developing to adopt a narrow definition of the
term "klezmer," including Yiddish instrumental repertoire but excluding folk
song, for example. We also agreed that there were good reasons to adopt that
usage. When we then considered our own repertoire, it was clear that it was
broader than klezmer music, understood in this narrow sense. For that reason
we left the term "klezmer music" off the cover and instead plastered the term
"New Jewish Music" all over the place. (The graphic is even of a label, meant
to be a semi-ironic comment on the function of musical labels). That term
seems to have caught on in some places, judging from the titles of some
current radio shows, conferences, etc.

I recommend the term "New Jewish Music" as one which can include both
instrumental and vocal, compositions and arrangements, of Ashkenazi and other
Jewish traditions. To me it seems less polemical than a term like "radical
Jewish culture," not the least because today's radical is often tomorrow's
traditional.

Alan Bern