Re: What Is Jewish Music? (revisited!)

I certainly agree w/ Gideon that questioning "the Jewishness of the
exercise" is not especially productive--nor very predictive of what
amcha/the culture will eventually embrace as Jewish music,
analytical/academic considerations notwithstanding.  I would only slightly
modify Gideon's formulation, so far as the downtown/fusion/"Radical" Jewish
music scene is concerned:  In some or many of these cases, I think the
musicians involved are "incorporating elements of Jewish music into their
own ["local"] sound," rather than the reverse.  Sort of (very loosely) in
the way that, say, Gershwin did, but in a more affirmatively Jewish way.
Whereas much of the music that I more characteristically lecture and,
sometimes, write about (and live with, frankly, though I enjoy some of the
downtown scene's music and am increasingly ... taking it in)--say, the
Fabrangen Fiddlers (as David Shneyer is on this list), Safam, and many
others--are "incorporating elements of the [contemporary/"local"] sound into
their Jewish music."  For that matter, so was Shlomo and other niggun
composers in his style:  They incorporated an American folk/guitar style and
made it part of their--and, thankfully, our--Jewish music. -- Robert Cohen