RE: What Is Jewish Music? (revisited!)

> Your statement would be true if that was always the case, otherwise that
> "if" is a big assumption to make.

I'm giving the bcreator of the music the benefit of the doubt.

> I am sorry Skip, as a Jewish folklorist, I have watched these guys.   For
> some, their goal is advancing American and not Jewish music.   They have
> little real Jewish consciousness.   Others certainly don't expect to make a
> lot of money doing doinas, but they appreciate the value of a fad when they
> see one.  They figure that being a big fish in a little pond is better than
> being a little fish in a big pond, since that big pond is so overcrowded
> and so highly commercialized.   The requirements for making this music seem
> to be very loose and very, very few in the audiences have familiarity with
> the fine points in the music to complain, or at least complain effectively.
>  This means that you can play a special role in introducing new music to an
> audience.  Such a role is always very gratifying, even heroic - something
> that American non-Jewish music doesn't offer today.  If anything most
> American music today sounds very derivative and most people feel as if
> everything has already been done.

I agree with you to a large degree, but with maybe more leeway than you're
seeing fit to grant.  I do believe a lot of people look for something obscure
that requires an elaborate thesis, so they can look cool explaining stuff.  But
I think some people are sincere in wanting to make a contemporized, personal
expression about Jewishness in perspective to the rest of their world.  And
that is totally legit as a Jewish expression.

  I think that this is one reason for the
> deep interest in world music which klezmer and Yiddish have now become part
> of.   It is klezmer's inclusion in this sexy music category that promises
> these musicians the kind of attention that straight American jazz or rock
> does not.   Going klezmer is a strange, seemingly antithetical mix of
> exotic, and for the Jewish musicians, proprietary at the same time.

I think another reason for its popularity in certain quarters is simply that
it's very good music when it's played well.

> One certainly doesn't have to make "Jewish" music for Jews to like your
> music.   Jews don't restrict themselves only to Jewish music.

I have yet to make anything I would specifically call "Jewish music".

Putting in 5-10% of some Jewish melody doesn't make it
> Jewish music, but it may however reflect the musicians high level of
> assimilation and low level of Jewish consciousness.

I don't think assimilating removes one's Jewish consciousness.

Since you live on the West Coast where there is
> little of the real thing, I can understand why you made the comments you
> made (please don't reduce this comment to East Coast prejudice - I have
> heard this very remark/complaint from native West Coasters for many years.)
>  But for us who grew up with it all around us, things are not as relative
> as you make them out to be.

Dear Reyzl-- I grew up in South Philadelphia and have only lived in LA for four
years.  In short, with regard to regional familiarity issues --  Don't even go
there.

> I don't think that "purity" is going to be that useful a ruler here, but
> "distinctiveness" is certainly possible, even though some of the stuff we
> hear sounds like general "Eastern European" to the untrained ear.

I don't think that music is best made so that a panel of experts can listen and
decide whether an "untrained ear" can be moved by communicates Jewishness.

So you take the wishy-washy "everything is relative" approach.

"Wishy washy"? It's not being passive-aggressive to insist on an artist's right
to express himself as they see fit.

   I would
> bet you any money that if you were to first listen to Zorn's music
> blindfolded, without the explanatory intro and identification, you and most
> others wouldn't think it's Jewish music.

You'd lose that bet.  The first time I heard Masada, I wasn't told what it was,
and was actually under the impression that it had something to do with Hankus
Netsky, because it represented -- TO ME -- this very heavily Eastern European
melodic cast with Third Stream ideas.  I was shocked to find out it was Zorn.

   But, since the overwhelming
> "coolness" of the label, hype, and the buzz around him has made sure to
> mold your and a lot of other people's opinions, you buy it.

Don't insult my intelliegnce or my musicianship.  You don't have that right
unless you can play all my music better than I can.

Furthermore, my opinions of Zorn's entire (huge) output vary from project to
project.  I like many things he's done.  Others have not reached me very
effectively at all.

Now I must tell you that I have heard very little Zorn in my life
> (had tickets twice but didn't get there), but when I sat and listened to
> him at the Radical Jewish Festival two years ago, I didn't get it at all.

This guy has sixty albums out, you see one performance, and you're ready to
dismiss him?

I  guess that "Zorn" is a legitimate musical category.

Each of us is a legit musical category, if we're doing music honestly.

But just because certain music moves me, doesn't mean
> that I would call it Jewish.

And the fact that something moves you, or me, doesn't mean anybody else in the
world has to like it.
If one has a  lifelong intimacy with Jewish/Yiddish music because you grew up
in the
> Yiddish community which created and breathed it, and furthermore, have
> rather heavy musicological training in the field, you have more than earned
> the right to pass judgements on what you hear.

"Form an opinion" yes, you have the right.  "Pass judgement on someone else's
art", no.

> Skip, I have personally, professionally, familialy, and communally
> dedicated the last 28 years of my life to the preservation and continuation
> of Eastern European Jewish culture and language and this is the filter
> through which I judge these things.  If you want to call this the "style
> police", you certainly have the right to do so.  But at least understand my
> perspective.

I understand your perspective, and I admire that you've made a life out of
preserving something I find beautiful.  But I don't think you have earned the
right to say an artist's expression is "Jewish enough" for the Jewish culture.
The culture itself decides that over time. Not the academe.

Skip Heller