RE: promiscuity and the single klezmer (was promiscuous fusionizers)

I think that several things are being mixed up here.   I really don't have
time to respond today's list messages, but I guess I better respond before
more misunderstandings occur (have to get to my own mailing lists AND go to
the bank before it closes.)   OK, quickly.

First, there are "concert halls" and then there is the special, unique,
case of Fiddler's House blockbusters.  There are all kinds of concert hall
venues, but the ones I was referring to there the small downtown Manhattan
music clubs, especially The Knitting Factory.  The Knitting Factory has
traditional klezmer, of course, but they specialize in being a showcase for
the newest avant-garde music, in this case, experimental fusion klezmer.
  Places like Knitting Factory play a very, very important role in the
world of all kinds of music, but it is a specialized role and not a place
that would interest everyone who loves a particular style.

>i do agree that the concert-hall approach can indicate a lack of
>connection to other parts of the culture --  but not in the way i think
you
>mean, reyzl.

Klezmer in concert halls -  There are JCC's, synagogues auditoriums, local
synagogue parties where klezmer bands play, general municipal events, folk
festivals, etc., etc. which are aimed at general audiences.  I would never
even imply that there is anything tainted, negative, or problematic with
these concert halls.   Klezmer bands are invited to these venues by Jewish
and municipal organizers because they believe that Jews or Jews and
non-Jews would like to hear the music.   Klezmer bands are invited because
the organizers believe that the bands are cultural agents/carriers who will
enable the general or Jewish audiences to connect with (their own) Jewish
culture.   There is no issue of here of "the concert-hall approach...
[lacking a] connection to other parts of the culture.

I will have to continue responding tomorrow.  Gotta go.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your point.  I haven't even finished reading
your post unfortunately.

Reyzl