Re: YIDDISH AMERICANA WORLD MUSIC CONCERT 12/19/99

Klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/5/99 8:03:37 AM, zelwel (at) earthlink(dot)net writes:
>
> << Wolf-
>
> You actually have a backup singer named Fraidy Katz?
>
>                                             EK
>
>  >>

> Not only is she a back up singer, but she has an excellent CD, Klezical
> Portrait. This Cd deservs a lot more recognition than it has received. We
> sell more of this title overseas than in the states, that, is a real shame!!!
> Simon
> Hatikvah Music

In the immortal words of my cousin Smoky (not), "I second that emotion."
Like Seth, I put the album on my year-end best list. As it says in the review:
Klezzical Tradition, The: "Family Portrait" (TKT Productions). An unalloyed
delight, from the old family photos in the booklet to the lively interpretations
of old chestnuts like "Russian Sher" and "Die Goldene Khasene." Difficult to
single out any one contribution on a record as good as this, but Adrianne
Greenbaum's rollicking piccolo is a pungent and unexpected reminder of how many
of the old klezmorim learned their trade in East European military bands. A set
that manages to be traditional and fresh at the same time.
Rating: 5 stars.

A great Khanukah gift, if you believe in such things.
George Robinson

ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER?
Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL
WRITERS UNION!
Web <http://www.nwu.org>, Ph:(212) 254-0279,
Email <nwu (at) nwu(dot)org>