Re: [78-l] HELP! - Yiddish records info needed...

Graham,

I have cross-posted your message to the Jewish Music Mailing list and
blind-copied a couple of discographers of Yiddish music that may be willing
and able to assist.

It's not my field either, but Asch records is the label of Moe Asch, a true
pioneer in the folk recording movement and I believe the forerunner of
Asch's Folkways (now Smithsonian Folkways) label.

They look like very interesting finds, but I can't speak to their value. We
just had a long discussion of Isa Kremer on the Jewish Music mailing list
not too long back (cf the Seva label recording.)

Good luck!

Joel

At 11:25 AM 11/14/99 -0500, Grahm Newton wrote:
>I recently acquired a modest quantity of Yiddish records from an estate
>sale that I attended.  The labels all seem to be New York based, except
>for a few items on red label Columbia and purple label Capitol.
>
>I hadn't seen any of these before, and none of my conventional
>references have any information about them.  I am wondering how common
>these are, and about their possible value for trading purposes, since
>they are not in my field of interest.
>
>If anyone has knowledge in this area, please look at the following label
>shots which I have posted on my website.
>
>If your browser allows it, you should be able to click on the following
>lines, otherwise you'll need to copy and paste the URL into your
>browser.
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/banner.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/sun.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/asch.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/apollo.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/gala.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/seva.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/menorah1.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/capitol.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/bell.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/columbia.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/victor.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/menorah2.jpg
>
>http://www.audio-restoration.com/allegro.jpg
>
>If you have difficulty reaching my website, please let me know, since I
>just changed my ISP-HOST and there is still one known routing "bug"
>that needs to be squashed!
>
>If you have difficulty with email to me at my regular email address
>gn (at) audio-restoration(dot)com, please try  lgn (at) hotmail(dot)com
>

>... Graham Newton
>
>--
>Audio Restoration by Graham Newton, http://www.audio-restoration.com
>World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
>recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com