Cleveland Nov 6-8

Hi Lori et al. in Cleveland: first concert is in Wooster on Sunday 7th, 2 pm
I think; info:
ppozefsky (at) acs(dot)wooster(dot)edu
2nd concert, Monday 8th - I'll copy the press release here; as you will see,
there will also, in the same place, be one by Khevrisa. Look forward to
meeting you - Judith (I'll be arriving in Cleveland on the Saturday so maybe
we - i.e. whoever of you are in the Cleveland area -  can get together??
Give me your phone number)

he Case Western Reserve University Department of Music, with the support
of the Samuel Rosenthal Center for Judaic Studies and the Baker-Nord Center
for the Humanities, announces a mini lecture-recital series in Judaic
music.  The two programs will include a presentation of virtuosic Klezmer
music by Khevrisa on October 14, and one of Sephardic song by Judith R.
Cohen on November 8.  Both events will begin at 7:30 pm in Harkness Chapel
on the CWRU campus.

The Khevrisa performance on Thursday, October 14th, includes Cleveland
violinist Steven Greenman and cimbalom virtuoso and scholar Walter Zev
Feldman.  They will present a highly virtuosic repertoire of 19th-century
Eastern European klezmer music, mixing klezmer traditions with Gypsy and
Turkish elements.  This also differs from American klezmer music in its
instrumentation and performance style.  The cimbalom, for example, is a
type of hammered dulcimer rarely heard in the context today.  But using
pre-World War I sound recordings along with precious few music manuscripts,
the performers have reconstructed this intricate but infectious music, once
composed for an elite audience and virtually never heard modern times until
revived by Khevrisa.  The lecture begins at 7:30 pm and the recital at 8.

The lecture-recital at 7:30 pm on Monday, November 8th, features Canadian
scholar/performer Judith R. Cohen, with Tamar Ilana Cohen Adams, in a
program entitled "Judeo-Spanish Songs and the Sephardic Diaspora." Cohen
will explain the origins and genres of Judeo-Spanish ("Ladino") song, a
sort of magical mystery tour of the repertoire, and its connections to the
Iberian Middle Ages and to other traditions, from the Balkans to
pan-European balladry. The songs they sing, both unaccompanied and with a
variety of Middle Eastern and European string and percussion instruments,
are from Cohen's fieldwork in Sephardic and Crypto-Jewish communities in
various Mediterranean countries, most recently especially in villages of
the Crypto-Jewish regions of Portugal.

There is no admission charge to these jointly-sponsored programs, although
a free-will donation for the performers will be accepted at the door.  For
information, contact the CWRU Department of Music at (216) 368-2400.