Re: TEREZA? (band)

I am the original fieldworker for this group, and can tell you pretty
much anything you would like to know about them. The singer is a forty
year old woman from Baku. She plays with her two brothers, a nephew, and
two other musicians. The band includes keyboard, garmon, clarinet, guitar,
and percussion. She sings a variety of music - some composed
material in the language of the Mountain Jews, as well as Turkish, Azeri,
and the like. She also sings a contemporary interpretation of a traditional
Mountain Jewish wedding song (actually, type of song.) She is basically a
wedding singer and she has a nightclub style - good embellishments and mugam,
but her voice is a little thin . The band is mixed. Her nephew is an amazing
musician, but he has become somewhat
influenced by the tastes of the larger former Soviet immigrant community,
as well as by the current trend of world beat. However, Tereza is a fourth
generation Mountain Jewish musician - her grandmother played garmon for Stalin
-
and so there's some history connected with her.

Robert, if you would like to know more, you may contact me off-list.