The Road from Valencia: Free Boston Concert

Chevre,

This is shaping up as a super interesting concert. Consort of Viols
director Judith Davidoff has done a lot of research tying the viola da
gamba to the Sephardim.

The concert is free (!) and I'd be interested in meeting other Boston-area
contributors to the list IRL at the concert (maybe we can post a picture of
Ari and all gather around him afterwards <G>)

Hats off to Brandeis for sponsoring the event.

Best,

Joel

>Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:56:58 -0500
>To: jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com
>From: Sarah Mead <Mead (at) brandeis(dot)edu>
>Subject: The Road from Valencia
>
>Saturday
>October 9
>8:00 pm
>Schwartz Auditorium
>Brandeis University
>Waltham
>Free
>
>The Road from Valencia
>featuring The New York Consort of Viols and vocal soloists
>
>This program traces the roots of the viola da gamba to early Sephardic
>Jewish musicians, driven from Spain by the Inquisition, who sought refuge
>in Northern Italy and were later invited into the employ of Henry VIII of
>England.  With music and narrative ranging from the 15th to the 17th
>century, the program culminates in several recent works based on this
>Sephardic tradition.
>
>Co-sponsored by the Department of Music, the Tauber Institute for the Study
>of European Jewry, the Department of near Eastern and Judaic Studies, and
>the Hillel Foundation, all at Brandeis University.
>
>Sarah Mead
>Artist-in-Residence
>Dept. of Music, Brandeis University
>phone: (781) 736-3331
>fax: (781) 736-3320

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com