Kol Isha: excellent sources in English

Though I've enjoyed (after catching up) the discussion on kol isha--and,
frankly, I find the idea that such a discussion doesn't belong on this list
a little bizarre!--I've also been struck by the considerable ignorance
reflected of the actual Jewish legal background on this issue.  "There is
[no] room or opportunity for discussion"--Wrong (or, as the kids say,
"NOT").  "This is an inflexible ruling and there are no mixed choirs for
Orthodox"--wrong on both counts.  Jonathan has helped, much, w/ some
sources, and Bob W., in his usual sensitive fashion, discerned that there
was apparntly "some differentiation" (even) within Orthodox circles.
Indeed. Though I'm decidedly _not_ an apologist or defender on this issue,
about which I'm in reality quite impatient (it seems to me that in my
lifetime, women have been far more unhinged by the singing of Sinatra,
Elvis, the Beatles, David Bowie, Tom Jones [!!], etc., etc., etc., than
_any_ man has been by a woman's singing!)--and, though, obviously, those
objecting to (variably applied--see below) kol isha restrictions, or
personally injured  by them, may well retain their objections and anger,
still, our discussion should be an informed one. Herewith, three superb
sources in English on the sources and diverse interpretation and application
of kol isha:
                                                    1) Saul Berman, "Kol
Isha," article in the Rabbi Joseph H. Lookstein Memorial Volume--I will look
into wider availability.  A comprehensive treatment of the exegesis of this
concept; Rabbi Berman, with characteristic subtlety and lucidity, explores
the precise nature, context, and scope of what restrictions have been
imposed, when, by whom, on what basis, and w/ what (often substantial)
dissent and (quite liberal to quite restrictive) variability--as well as
possible grounds for suspension of such restrictions altogether. R. Berman
elucidates the thin basis in the Talmud, and in the history and origins of
kol isha, for the restrictions that have developed (and, indeed, perhaps,
for much or most of the accreted law of kol isha) and refers to the
existence of substantial dissent re such stringencies as listening to
recorded women's voices and mixed choirs.
                                                   2) Reuven Kimelman,
cassette recording of presentation at 1997 International Conference on
Feminism and Orthodoxy:  a typically (for this brilliant teacher) rigorous
analysis of the exact and variable meanings and implications (e..g, for
zemirot, Megilat Esther) of the sources for kol isha.   Funny in parts, too.

                    3) David Bleich, Contemporary Halachic Problems, volume
II, pp. 147-52:  elucidates the substantial variability of Orthodox halachic
opinions in re, e.g., mixed choirs, mixed singing of zemirot, and listening
to women's voices on recordings or on the radio.  (Thus, the otherwise
genial radio guy who would only play tracks from Wolf's CD that had no
women's voices--even on background harmony vocals--was catering to a very
stringent, far from normative, view.)  Bleich is, laughably, far from a
liberal voice in such matters (unlike, e.g., R. Berman), but does expound
halacha, in my experience, w/ unyielding integrity (as opposed to pandering
to whatever right-wing political trend has swept the Orthodox world--e.g.,
in re capital punishment); that he demonstrates a wide range of
proscriptions _proves_ that there is such a range.

                              I hope these sources prove useful for those
interested in studying the issue--and I may have one other one to supply in
a few days.--Robert Cohen