Re: early music in Israel

Dear Listers,

Sorry to quote the original and its response in their entireties below, but
if someone was not following the thread, my comments would not be
understandable. I was about to write a response to the initial inquiry, when
Eliot Kahn said everything that I would have said in his response, much more
eloquently. Two additional comments: I was severely disappointed with the
Gradenwitz. If you're looking for detail and great scholarship, you won't
find it there, IMHO. It is quite a superficial survey. I had purchased it
from the Jewish Book Club, and after looking at it, I just sent it back.

The Rothmüller (that's a U with an umlaut) is an excellent resource. It is
one of the three Jewish music books that I refer to most often?the others
being _Jewish Music_ by A. Z. Idelsohn and _Concise Encyclopedia of Jewish
Music_ by Macy Nulman, which has a concise bio of Rothmüller, by the way. Not
only is (was?) he an operatic singer, according to Nulman, but also a
composer as well. He even studied with Alban Berg. He was a cofounder of
"Omanut" that Eliot referred to. The first edition of Rothmüller's book was
in German in 1951. I have a "new and revised" edition in paperback in my
personal library, dating from 1967 and published by A. S. Barnes; later in
paperback in 1975, the year I bought it (I used to write the year of purchase
in my music books). I do not know if it is still in print. It should be.

What scholarly books do you listers use out there for research into Jewish
music? Is there anything recent, comprehensive, *and* good? Inquiring minds
want to know. Simon?What do have at Hatikvah that you would recommend?

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett
Composer/Arranger/Producer