Israeli Folk Music History

I'm interested in learning more about Israeli/Palestine folk music from the
Thirties through the Sixties.   I listen to records and become familiar with
some artists, but there is almost no information that I can find on the
songs, writers or performers.  The only tomes I have heard of accompany
recent 50th anniversary CD releases, but they seem to all be in Hebrew.
Sorry, my reading isn't that good!  Is anyone aware of an English digest that
tells of this history?  Thanks,  Ron Orenstein