Re: AFO AVRAHAM AVINU

At 03:29 PM 9/21/99 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 9/20/99 6:55:11 AM, RONOREN (at) aol(dot)com writes:
>
><<   I have seen it in Simon's
>store in Los Angeles, among others.  Group featured, as I recall, the
>supergroup pairing of Arik Einstein, Shmuel Kraus and Josie Katz.
>Ron Orenstein >>
>
>We still carry this recording and it is still VERY popular.  At the time this
>was recorded, Arik Einstein was known as "The Israeli Bob Dylan", you might
>say that he has become the "Israeli Frank Sinatra with a bit 'o folk"
>Simon

I do remember making the Frank Sinatra comparison, myself, many decades
ago, but "The Israeli Bob Dylan"? That would be quite a heavy label to
put on someone who writes very little material, and has never addressed
the political and social issues, let alone with Dylan's force. I mean,
I consider myself a major Arik Einstein fan, but he's much too good at
what he does to want to pretend that he is someone else.

As for the HIGH WINDOWS recording on which the song that began this
thread appears, I just wanted to add my two cents and chime in with
everyone who loves the album. At the time, they were marketed as a
sort of Israeli Peter, Paul, and Mary (although, again, without the
social or political content). The harmonies are wonderful. The songs
are fluff, but who cares? (And, really, even if fluff, how many pop
albums in this country have songs about Ezekiel the Prophet or the
Patriarchs, even if, regarding Ezekiel, the chorus goes something
like, "that prophet Ezekiel, he de prophet" (ha-navi yehezkiel, hu
bomba shel navi.....)

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/