smoothing out - Lucy et al

Hi, taking the liberty of answering the question you aimed at Joel (who will
probably answer too), he's quite right: Hemsi and Levy did what they
undoubtedly thought of as "smoothing out" the songs they each, separately
and with a gap of a few decades, collected and published. Hemsi did actual
arrnagements for piano, and Levy only did transcriptions (as did Aracadio de
Larrea Palacin in similar `smoothing out style`for Morocco) . Both pretty
much erased Middle East maqam, and complex rhythms, and generally presented
the melodies so that they fit into standards of Western concert music more
easily.
They should be seen in their own cultural context - Western concert music.
They were not ethnomsuciologists, and did not make their recordings
available to anyone to listen to. They performed , in my mind, a great
service in making the repertoire available and a great disservice in
altering it for what turned out to be a whole initial and influential
generation (or more) of performers and listeners.
As for whether I would àpprove`of your arrnagements, well, of course, my
approval of anyone`s arrangements of anything should be irrelevant!
But I wouldn`t suggest taking the Victoria de los ANgeles approach to
Judeo-Spanish songs (much as I admire her artistry, her initiative at the
time in performing and recording them,  and, having met her when we were
both working at a summer university seminar one year in Spain, like and
respect her as a person) - especially in the light of the resources we now
have available.
Over the past few days at Ashkenaz, I`ve been involved in several
discussions about change, innnovation, continuity etc. No conclusions! My
point of view as a trained ethnomusicologist tends to be much more wide open
and tolerant of change than my point of view as an individual person - a
positive result of the academic approach! While I`m here, thanks, Simon, for
your last comment; it didn`t go unappreciated. Happy New Year - Judith