Re: Recordings: do they exist?

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, HNetsky (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

>Just accidentally came across a gorgeous Ray Charles recording of "Vu
>Ahin Zol Ikh Geyn" in English ("Where Can I Go?").  Takes it out of the
>post-Holocaust Zionist context.  (Ingredients in a Recipe For Soul, ABC
>Paramount (LP), 465, rec. 1963 - don't know if it's on CD) -Hankus

Miriam Makeba also recorded this in English, without the final "Zionist"
verse.  I forget which early album of hers it was on.

-Hayyim

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Who by fire, who by water
  who in sunshine, who in the nighttime
Who by high ordeal, who by common trial
  who in your merry merry month of May          -Leonard Cohen,
    who by very slow decay                      "Who By Fire" (1974)
And who shall I say is calling?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

--- Begin Message ---
Hi, I don't have information about a recording of Mezz Mezzrow that reflects
his background (re the query in today's Digest), but it reminded me of an
incident you might enjoy. Years and years ago, in 1971, my first Real
Hippie-Type Trip Overseas, (aside from the previous summer hitching through
ex-Yugoslavia) I was in Paris, and a Canadian friend ended up in the
American Hospital with appendicitis.I went to see him every day for a few
days, and his room-mate was none other than Mezz Mezzrow! At the time I
wasn't particularly interested in klezmer or Sephardi music, and didn't even
know who he was, but he wasn't timid about rectifying the last-mentioned of
my various levels of ignorance. Anyway, I had a couple of recorders with me,
and he asked me to bring them; the nurses were dubious, but he had me play
medieval and French Canadian tunes for him every day and criticized my level
of soul.....
I'll be teaching at KlezKanada this week (so will my daughter Tamar, in the
kids' programme), so probably won't have much, if any, access to e-mail till
we get back. Cheers, Judith PS The editor of Jewish Folklore & Ethnology
Review is preparing the last issue before he steps down from editorship and
has just told me there's still a little time for me to update my ongoing
"sonography of Judeo-Spanish song" so if anyone has titles they think ought
to be included, let me know!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Just accidentally came across a gorgeous Ray Charles recording of "Vu Ahin
Zol Ikh Geyn" in English ("Where Can I Go?").  Takes it out of the
post-Holocaust Zionist context.  (Ingredients in a Recipe For Soul, ABC
Paramount (LP), 465, rec. 1963 - don't know if it's on CD) -Hankus

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
How do I get to hear this or get a copy?

Reyzl

----------
Just accidentally came across a gorgeous Ray Charles recording of "Vu Ahin
Zol Ikh Geyn" in English ("Where Can I Go?").  Takes it out of the
post-Holocaust Zionist context.  (Ingredients in a Recipe For Soul, ABC
Paramount (LP), 465, rec. 1963 - don't know if it's on CD) -Hankus

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We have covered this before, but
thanks for the catalogue number, Hankus.
(I told you it exists, Bob)!

For laughs:   In researching the career of Eddie Fisher, I came across
"Hymn to Hymie" by Molly Picon, from the Broadway musical "Milk and Honey"
by Jerry Herman.

Wolf

PS  Woodstock '30 today at original site Bethel, NY.  Tickets only $19.69

HNetsky (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> Just accidentally came across a gorgeous Ray Charles recording of "Vu Ahin
> Zol Ikh Geyn" in English ("Where Can I Go?").  Takes it out of the
> post-Holocaust Zionist context.  (Ingredients in a Recipe For Soul, ABC
> Paramount (LP), 465, rec. 1963 - don't know if it's on CD) -Hankus

--- End Message ---

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->