Re: "or la-goyim"

So far as I can tell, the phrase "or lagoyim" (which I don't believe appears
that way anywhere in Scripture) derives from Isaiah 49:6, which says that
the Jewish people (by implication) has been, I think, appointed (or some
such) "l'or goyim"--(to be) "a light of nations," as JPS I suspect correctly
translates it; the "of" can be assumed (or subsumed) in Hebrew, but not, so
far as I (w/ minimal knowledge) know, the "to."  In Isaiah it is explicit
that this "job description" is so that we'll be a source of salvation for
all--so the universal message/implications are clear.  How the phrase got
transmuted into "a light unto the nations" I don't know.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->