Re: Fwd: deprecate/depreciate

Uh, I don't get the Certs reference.  Yes, "deprecate" has, by repeated
mis-usage, now come, lexicographically, to mean "depreciate" as an
additional meaning, but no good writer or speaker should use it that way!
Deprecate comes from same root as "imprecation," means to curse.
"Depreciate" is opp. of "appreciate":  to increase in value (like a stock)
or value highly.  So "depreciate"=to decrease in value (like a stock);
disparage or belittle.  So it's always (or shd always be)
"self-depreciating," not "self-deprecating" humor.  Whereas, I hurl
imprecations at those who use the one word to mean the other. Is everybody
happy?--or, at least, better informed (he says snottily, but not
self-depreciatingly)?