Re: Comparing Incomparables (and some Tango)

I believe the world-wide Argentine tango craze of the '20s had a lot to do with
Hollywood (Valentino, anyone?), and so was an out-growth of the spread of
American popular culture in general.  So, you find it represented in popular
music, and being played by professional musicians, who in many cases were Jews
or
Gypsies.  The Russian style of tango (eg. "Sertse") is called  Gypsy music, to
distinguish it from anything arising out of Russian folk culture.

Owen   (font of information, both mis- and dis-; general blow-hard; Wastrel of
the Waveband)

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided o'er my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake