Re: Jewish liturgical music in English

P.S. to Gideon and whoever else is listening:  I've never heard Shlomo's
"Pitchu Li" in English, but he managed to (regularly) do a rendition of
"L'Ma'an Achai v'Reiai" (Because of My Brothers and Friends) in English that
I find really (again) "works"--on the (quite fine original) recording and
before "mixed" audiences (i.e., not only Orthodox or knowledgeable Jews; or
Jews and non-Jews, as at "New Age" settings like the Open Center).  Indeed,
some Catholics started an English-language version (I think their own) of
this wonderful niggun. I also have a charming recording of Shlomo singing
"Esau Einai" in English at the legendary Fox Hollow Folk Festival, o"h.  A
lot of English-language liturgy (original or translated), again, doesn't
make it for me, but w/ sensitive and graceful English and the right heimish
melody, sometimes it can--and it can, perhaps, open up davening _and_
musical worlds for some non-Hebrew literates.