From:  Kame'a Media[SMTP:media (at) kamea(dot)com]
Sent:  Thursday, July 08, 1999 12:18 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Re: Piaf/Montand/Aznavour

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky wrote:

> Oh, there are so, so many examples of this.   The same applies to other
> fields as well, for example, Romanian architecture (forgot his name) or
> Russian ballet (forgot her name too) or Russian classical musicians
> (Feltsman).  After I wrote what I wrote, I went downstairs and found a
> biography on Charles Aznavour playing on the Bravo cable station, but I
> missed the first half.  I can't remember the info I once knew about him
and
> Edith Piaf, but wern't/aren't at least one of them Jewish too

Not Piaf.You may be thinking of another of her many proteges, the
aforementioned
Yves Montand (Real name: Yvo Levi).
Piaf writes in her biography that, first thing she did when the Nazis
occupied
Paris,
was to take a Jewish lover...

Aznavour is Armenian.  (Real name: Aznavourian). I have never read /heard
anything about him being Jewish, but who knows?
Yiddish singer Dave Cash (Presente Ses Fantaisies Yiddish) sings a Yiddish
version of
Aznavour's "La Mamma".

Wolf