New radio show in Italy plays international Jewish melodies

I just found this on the web.   Francesco has been holding out on us on
this good news.

The next step is to get this program on the Internet.  Very important.

I am reproducing only the first few lines of this article below in the
hope that copyright issues are not raised.   You can go there yourself
and read the rest of this article.

BTW, I also found this piece of news at http://www.klezmer.co.uk/register.htm

>First Italian Centre for the study of Klezmer music was launched in
>the summer.  Yuval Italia, is an institute located in Milan and run
>in collaboration with the Jewish Music research centre of the Hebrew
>University.

Reyzl

http://www.jta.org/jun97/22-yuva.htm

New radio show in Italy plays international Jewish melodies
    By Ruth E. Gruber

MILAN, Italy, June 22 (JTA) -- Francesco Spagnolo was selecting music
for his prime-time program on Radio Popolare, one of Italy's foremost
independent radio stations.

    ``I want the show this week to be about ghettos,'' the bearded
28-year-old said.

    He considered the possibilities.

    Classical music that was composed in the World War II ghetto of
Theresienstadt. Baroque music by the 17th-century Italian Jewish
composer Salamone Rossi, who lived and worked in Mantua at a time
when Jews there were confined to a ghetto.

    A track by the Jewish rappers The Beastie Boys. A song about the
Warsaw Ghetto Uprising by the South African rock group Johnny Clegg
and Savuka.

    Maybe a piece by the Yiddish bard Mordechai Gebirtig, who was
killed by the Nazis in Poland.

    Spagnolo's weekly, hourlong show, ``Yuval: Jewish Music and
Cultures,'' which was launched in March, is the only regular Jewish
music program on Italian radio.

    Broadcast Sunday evenings on a station that reaches most of
northern Italy as well as other parts of the country, the program
showcases a wide variety of Jewish music, from classical to klezmer,
and includes interviews with Jewish cultural figures and discussions
of Jewish traditions....

(c) Virtual Jerusalem, Ltd., 1995-1996. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Send questions and
comments to webmaster (at) virtual(dot)co(dot)il