Re: Musical Update of all sorts AND WHOOPS!!!

Thanks to a diligent reader I've discovered a big TYPO in my previous
mailing.  The Memorial Day Event at Cong. MIshkan Israel is to be held in
HAMDEN CT NOT in Northampton MA My apologies.

>Finally, the biggest and most timely piece of news:
>I have helped put together an exciting festival of Jewish music for Memorial
>Day Weekend at Congregation Mishkan Israel in HAMDEN Connecticut  Here's the
>schedule of events for the Festival of Nigunim.
>Friday, May 28 8:00 p.m. Isidor Offenbach Memorial Music Service featuring
>Lorin Sklambergand Frank London of the Klezmatics singing, teaching and
>leading the congregation in Hasidic Shabbat songs
>
>Saturday, May 29 3 FREE Workshops
>       2-3:15 p.m. Session A Lorin Sklamberg will lead a nigunim-singing class
>open to all voices, with an emphasis on group singing
>       2-3:15 p.m. Session B Frank London, Uri Caine, and David Chevan will
> lead a
>class for musicians where nigunim and other traditional Jewish melodies will
>be learned as a basis for improvisation,  arranging, and ensemble performance
>       3:30-4:45 p.m. Session C a lecture/demonstration on the history of
> Klezmer
>and other Ashkenazic Jewish musical traditions, from their European roots
>through their contemporary renaissance
>***Seating is limited; for reservations call Erica at (203) 287-3877
>
>Saturday, May 29, 8:00 p.m.  A Concert of Nigunim
>       Lorin Sklamberg and Frank London with Uri Caine in a concert of Nigunim
> and
>other music from the Ashkenazic  musical tradition
>       Opening will be Warren Byrd and David Chevan who will perform
>interpretations of Jewish and African-American sacred music
>
>***Tickets are available at the door.  Admission is $7.00 for adults and
>$3.00 for seniors and children 12 and under.  For reservations and further
>information please call Erica at (203) 288- 3877.
>
>Congregation Mishkan Israel, 785 Ridge Road, Hamden, Connecticut for
>directions, information and reservations for any of these events please call
>(203) 288-3877

* * *
David Chevan
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent St.
New Haven, CT 06517
(203) 392-6630

email: chevan (at) scsu(dot)ctstateu(dot)edu or chevan (at) csu(dot)cted(dot)net
or check out my website by clicking here
http://users.csu.cted.net/~chevan/