Festival of Nigunim

Here's something going on at my synagogue that I've helpedto plan that I
thought would be of interest to you.

Need plans for the Memorial Day weekend?
                Have we got a plan for you!!
And it all happens at Congregation Mishkan Israel in Hamden Connecticut

        Friday, May 28 8:00 p.m. Isidore Offenbach Memorial Music Service
featuring
Lorin Sklamberg and Frank London of the Klezmatics singing, teaching and
leading the congregation in Hassidic Shabbat songs

Saturday, May 29 3 FREE Workshops
2-3:15 p.m. Session A Lorin Sklamberg will lead a nigunim-singing class open
to all voices, with an emphasis on group singing
2-3:15 p.m. Session B Frank London, Uri Caine, and David Chevan will lead a
class for musicians where nigunim and other traditional Jewish melodies will
be learned as a basis for improvisation,  arranging, and ensemble performance
3:30-4:45 p.m. Session C a lecture/demonstration on the history of Klezmer
and other Ashkenazic Jewish musical traditions, from their European roots
through their contemporary renaissance
***Seating is limited; for reservations call XXX at (203) 287-3877

Saturday, May 29, 8:00 p.m.  A Concert of Nigunim
Lorin Sklamberg and Frank London with Uri Caine in a concert of Nigunim and
other music from the Ashkenazic  musical tradition
Opening will be Warren Byrd and David Chevan who will perform
interpretations of Jewish and African-American sacred music

***Tickets are available at the door.  Admission is $7.00 for adults and
$3.00 for seniors and children 12 and under.  For reservations and further
information please call (203) 288-3877.

Congregation Mishkan Israel, 785 Ridge Road, Hamden, Connecticut
for directions, information and reservations for any of these events please
call (203) 288-3877

David Chevan
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent St.