Re: The Zfat festival

Ari Davidow wrote:

> Moshe,
>
> Can you post more details? Who/what is going to be at these festivals?
> Where do people go for more information?
>
> ari
>
> At 11:38 PM 4/27/99 +0300, you wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> >     As it is known now the Zfat klezmer festival in Israel will take place
> > in
> > 10 - 12 August.

    That is the only information available until now, the whole thing is in
preparation. As far as I know there will be some of the klezmers from abroad.
When
there will be known more about the festival I'll let you know.

> >     The Ra'anana festival in Israel will take place in the 28th of July.

    The same as above. I think that at that festival there will be only local
klezmers. As is known yet "Sulam" will be performing there.

> >     Above all the great celebration in Meron will take place in Lag Ba'omer
> > (next Monday) starting 3 May in the evening, and continuing all the day of
> > the 4th in May.

    That public "festival" is behind us and it didn't need any preparation.
Everyone can get there and everyone can perform there (of course in the limits
of
the place, as a holy place). The celebrations are lasting more then 24 hours,
and
they start with the Hadlaka on the roof of Bar Yokhai's tomb. In fact many of
the
celebrators begin to arrive there a week earlier and live a week later. You can
hear there the whole folklore of the various communities if Israel, but if you
are
interested in the klezmers (the "real" and the "non-festival" klezmers) you
have to
step into the courtyard where there is a small stage on which the klezmers in
turn
are playing non-stop. (the only interrupt is for praying Shakhrit). Also you can
attend the midnight session at the tomb of Rabbi Yokhanan Ha'sandlar (The
shoemaker) a more then 100 years of tradition.