Re: synagogue music - niggun and nusakh

I can't give a general answer to Rachel's question about the practice in
reform shul's regarding singing.  My Synagogue, Temple Beth Abraham in
Tarrytown, NY, has Reform services Friday night and Conservative services
Saturday morning.  Last Friday, we had a special service to start a
year-long celebration of the 100th anniversary of the congregation.  We
began, as we do all Friday services, by singing such familiar songs as L'cho
Dodi.  We use some traditional melodies, and some of Debbie Friedman's.

The Rabbi and Cantor started this practice about a year ago, and at first
some people were hesitant about singing.  The hesitancy is gone now, and I
suspect that many would object if we dropped the practice.

Marvin Margoshes