Lag B'Omer Jewish Music benefit for Homeless, NYC

Topic 532 [jewish]:   New York area resources and events of Jewish interest.
#178 of 178: The Well is a Wheel (barbe)      Fri Apr 23 '99 (07:10)    45 lines

   Event:  Lag B'Omer, May 3,7:30 at Symphony Space
          (B'wy & 93 St.) Concert and Fund raiser for "Beyond Shelter".

   Reprinted from the NHC List by R.Arthur Waskow :

   An event of direct interest to New Yorkers and perhaps an
 interesting model or stimulus for those elsewhere.  A new way of
 celebrating Lag B'Omer while healing some pain. I've asked for info
 about the Beyond Shelter loan fund, and will pass it on when I get it.
 Shalom, Arthur

  > Beyond Shelter Coalition, an alliance of twenty-seven West Side [of

 Manhattan] synagogues, schools, and Jewish institutions for permanent
 housing for the homeless, announces its seventh annual Festival of
 Jewish Music!

 > The concert will feature famed singer/songwriter Debbie Friedman,
 the celebrated fusion rock band Inasense, and the Sephardic music of
 the Gerard Edery Ensemble.  It will take place on Monday night, May
 3rd, the evening of Lag Ba'Omer, at 7:30 P.M., at Symphony Space,
 Broadway at 95th Street in Manhattan.

 > The evening will benefit Beyond Shelter's housing loan fund, which
 creates and rehabilitates homes for low-income and homeless New
 Yorkers.

 > Benefit tickets are $36 and are available at the Symphony Space box
 office, by mail (send check to Beyond Shelter Coalition, c/o Rodeph
 Sholom, 7 W. 83 St, NYC 10024), or by calling Beyond Shelter at
 212/666-6232.  A small number of reduced-price seats are available to
 those with limited incomes, and various benefits are offered to those
 who choose a higher tier of sponsorship.  Ad space is available in the
 concert program for interested businesses and organizations.