RE: RE(2): De shtoob?

You know I just realized that I did this quickly and mostly copied the text
that was already there without making all the proper changes.  The fourth line
should have been "vos ikh hob gelibt" in one version.

>Vu iz dos gesele?          Where is the little street
>Vu iz dos shtibele         Where is the house
>Vu iz dos meydele          Where is the girl
>Vos ikh hob gelibt         Whom I loved?

Another variant, the waltz version is

>Vu iz dos gesele?          Where is the little street
>Vu iz di shtib             Where is the house
>Vu iz doz meydele          Where is the girl
>Vos ikh hob lib            Whom I loved?

I don't know if you know Yiddish rhythm or if are correctly pronouncing the
Yiddish for me to tell you why it isn't working for you.   Believe me that this
is the same song your father was singing, but which variant melody it is, I can
not tell you.   The song with chords appear in one of the Mloteks books.

Recordings?  I don't know, but I think that Miriam Nirenberg may have sung it
on the record that Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett recorded with her.  I remember
that we analyzed a unique variant from Mrs. Nirenberg in a class in 1975 when
we were doing our musical research and collecting for the YIVO Music Project,
but I am not sure if that song got into that recording or not.

Reyzl