Re: Kidush L'vanaa

Over  the  last  few  days,  we've  seen  some  interesting  postings  on
this  topic,  and,  sadly,  many  sidurim  no  longer  give  it  any  space.

[But  that's  not  too  surprising,  because  so  many  other  items  have
also  been  eliminated  from  some  of  those  editions.  It's  a  bit  like
omitting  a  word  from  a  dictionary  just  because  we  don't  understand
its  meaning!]

Just  as  Jonathan  Delatizky  tells  us  of  his  teenage  experience  in
Johannesburg,  South  Africa,  so  do  I,  too,  recall  this  fascinating
ceremonial  blessing  a  little  further  south  -  in  Cape  Town,  South
Africa.

At  the  appropriate  time,  just  after  Shabat  Havdala,  there  was  a
"hand - bang"  on  the  ba'al  t'fila's  podium  followed  by  the
announcement  "kidush  l'vonne".  All  congregants  rapidly  trooped
outside  with  their  sidurim.  As  it  was  dark,  it  was  impossible  to
see  the  text;  yet,  quite  amazingly,  they  managed  to  deal  with  the
entire  procedure  at  the  same  "lightening"  speed  applied  to  their
other  regular  davening!  But  then  these  were  people  mainly  "foon
der  haym",  which  was  mainly  Lithuania.  The  shul  was  in  the  suburb
of  Vredehoek,  and  was  known  as  the  Bess  Medrash  (Bayt  haMidrash).

We  bless  our  God,  who  "renews  the  months"  -  sounds  a  lot  better
in  Hebrew:  "M'khadesh  Khodashim"  (an  excellent  alliteration).  There
are  also  a  few  extracts  from  the  Psalms  (T'hillim)  including  a
whole  "bunch"  of  beautifully poetic  "hallelu"s  [chapters  148  & 150],
and  the  melodic  chapter  121.

It  is  obligatory  to  consecrate  the  moon  every  month,  and  it  is
mandatory  (a  mitzva)  to  do  so  at  the  end  of  Shabat  -  when  we're
(still)  happy  and  dressed  in  our  best.  It  is  also  a  mitzva  to
perform/enjoy  this  consecration  in  a  "crowd".

It  should  be  done  in  the  open  air,  and  the  moon  must  be
visible.  [As  in  most  places winter  skies  are  often  cloudy  for  many
days  at  a  time,  the  Kidush  L'vanaa  is  (statistically)  performed
more  often  in  the  summer  and  spring  than  in  the  winter  and
autumn  (fall)  months.

The  consecration  should  not  be  held  until  at  least  3  days  from
the  beginning  of  the  new  month  (Rosh  Chodesh),  and  not  later  than
half  way  through  the  lunar  month.  There  are  always  a  number  of
exceptions,  which  include  (amongst  others):
    not  before  Tish'aa  b'Av  (9th  of  Av)
    not  on  Erev  Shabat
    not  on  a  Festival  night
    (yes)  after  Yom  Kipur  (if  not  already  performed  at  the
conclusion  of  Shabat  Shuva).

Thanks  to  all  who  whoa raised  this  topic,  which  I  have  not  even
heard  mentioned  for  many  years.

Moshe  Hochenberg