Re: Kiddush Levarah, Esther and Mordecai, etc.

Jewish Worship by Abraham Millgram (JPS 1971) describes Kiddush
Levanah in his section on The Consecration of the Moon (p.266-268).
Without going into details,

As to ceremony: it "is a real service with a regular benediction."
(Note that this is distinguished from the ritual of Blessing the New
Month.)

As to dancing: Millgram refers to "ancient days, when dancing was part
of the New Moon celebration."

As to historical observance: "In the geonic period ... all the
services connected with the new moon were rendered with equal
seriousness.

As to contemporary observance: "Only few congregations still gather
outside their synagogues to consecrate the moon.  Most modern prayer
books do not even include the prayers for this service."

Perhaps with the resurgence of the observance of new moon traditions
as a result of the encouragement of women, this tradition is being
revived.  Has anyone been to one?

Bob