Re: uskudara, arabic/judeo-arabic

Re Daniel's sensible question/comment: I think the answer is "both".But
first, this is not a case of scholars interpreting anything, it's just
what happens. And there's certainly no mixture with yiddish in Morocco!
(also, their Judeo-Spanish is haketia, not djudezmo,a term they don't
use; they use "Ladino" in the classical sense of the word-for-word
religious texts translation from Hebrew, not as the spoken vernacular).
In any case, it's usually much-maligned scholars who can actually
identify borrowed words, syntax etc as just that, and not as "mistakes";
most scholars I've worked with have in fact been very enlightening in
this regard. In the Moroccan case, one has to distinguish between Jews
who live/d in former French and Spanish Morocco. The former spoke Arabic
(yes, Moroccan Arabic) all the time, the women too, as their main daily
language. The latter used Spanish (under the Spanish Protectorate both
haketia - Moroccan Judeo-Spanish - and, increasingly, mainland standard
Spanish - Castlian) and often only knew a little Arabic, the men often
more than the women. The women, as I understand it from interviewing
them over the years (re collecting songs) often knew what Arabic they
did know  mostly from the women who worked for them in their homes. So
yes, there is certainly a difference between standard and Moroccan
Arabic but I don't think this is the situation here; and it also
wouldn't explain their mis-pronunciation of Hebrew. Cheers, Judith